Silver Beach News for 9.21.16
You are invited… to a Student Led Open House
When: Thursday, September 22nd, 6:00-7:15 pm
At Silver Beach we are working hard to create a school culture that fosters student ownership of learning. We believe that every child is a leader and a student led open house is a great way for them to shine. Your student will be your guide and share their learning with you. You will see examples of classroom work, classroom routines, and goal setting. This event is designed to be student led, and will take the place of a traditional teacher led curriculum night. Your student is encouraged to introduce all specialist teachers: Resource Room (Susan Towers), PE (Tonian Gray), Music (Maya Popp), Library (Kristin Cleary), Reading Support (Allyson Alexander), and Counselor (Brian Gilmore). We are very excited to have you come and celebrate your student!
Friday… our ‘one-and-done’ fundraiser, the Jog-a-Thon. Our school goal is $30,000 with funding approximately distributed by:
• 64% Classroom Basics: teacher stipends, library books, school garden lessons, science fair & van, 5th grade planners, assemblies, etc.
• 13% Building Community: Family events, bike to school, 5th grade graduation, kindergarten tours, Family Support Network, after school enrichment scholarships, ski-to-sea parade
• 12% Arts: Allied Arts, art enrichment, Musicians (new 16-17), performing arts support
• 11% Technology: online math and reading resources, IXL RAZ Kids, math club
We welcome families to come cheer on their runners. Start times by grade are: 4th 8:45, 1st 9:30, 5th 10:15, 2nd 12:30, 3rd 1:15 and Kinders. 2:00.
Sept. 22: Open House 6-7:15pm
Sept. 23: Jog-A-Thon
Sept. 30: Kids Night Out
Oct. 4: PTO Meeting 6:30-7:30pm
Oct. 11: Mobile Dental Van
Oct. 14: NO SCHOOL
Oct. 18: Picture Day
Oct. 21: Kids Night Out
Oct 28: Fall Festival 6-8pm
After School Enrichment:
There is still time for late signup in some After-School Programs (ASPs). For more information and to sign up for all After-School Programs (ASPs).
• IMPROV and ART 3-5 — We are still under-enrolled in the Improv (grades 4-5) and Art II (grades 3-5) classes. Improv is offered on Wednesdays, 3-4pm, and Art II is offered on Thursdays, 1:15-3pm. These are both creative and fun opportunities for your child to expand their arts education, in a small group, in a safe and relaxed environment. Click here to signup.
• TENNIS (submitted by the tennis ASP provider) –Powered by the United States Tennis Association, Tennis Afterschool Zone (TAZ) helps students learn to play tennis, get moving and have fun. We provide the smaller sized rackets and low-compression balls which keep the students safe and our well trained instructors work to develop necessary motor skills. Our program is composed of eight one-hour session after school at a cost of $64 per student. Click here to learn more.
Other Community Events
Free Developmental Screening Birth to Age 5, Sept. 26
A free developmental screening clinic for children ages birth to five is scheduled from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Sept. 26, 2016 at St. Luke’s Community Health Education Center, 3333 Squalicum Parkway. The clinic is an opportunity to speak with an early childhood specialist about your child’s development and to receive education information. The clinic is presented free of charge by Bellingham Public Schools and the Opportunity Council. For additional information about screening for ages 3 to 5, please call (360) 676-6470, ext.4408. For information about screening birth to 3, call (360) 715-7485. Click here for more information:
Families are invited to Bellingham Police Department Law Enforcement Appreciation Day from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 22 at the Bellingham Police Department, 505 Grand Avenue. Get to know your local police department and show appreciation for what they do every day. Free pizza will be provided while supplies last, plus, games and prizes for the kids. Check out exclusive law enforcement vehicles while you register for a chance to win a Harley Davidson.
Like us on Facebook
Our Lost and Found is getting full! Please label outerwear with your child’s name so that if something is left on the playground we can get it back to the rightful owner.
We’re asking all volunteers, including parents, guardians and grandparents who plan to volunteer in classrooms and on field trips, to please take a few moments to complete our new online volunteer application. You can find the application on our website: bellinghamschools.org (go to about, then volunteer program), or log in directly at bellinghamschoolsvolunteers.hrmplus.net.